Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Project Electrical Panel

That awful eye sore builder's always seem to put in the most obvious places even when there's an attached garage, or a basement, or even a large closet somewhere.

Maybe there's a reason for the placement. I don't know, I'm not an electrician. But I haven't seen a pattern that makes any sense. My bedroom, growing up, in the very back of the house. Now in the middle of my kitchen (in the very front of my house), preventing me from having upper cabinets if I ever get to move my stove to the opposite wall like I want.

Well. I've come up with a great solution. Make it Art. Build a frame out of 1x2's and secure it to the wall around the box. Then build another frame out of door trim, or whatever trim you like, and attach it to the first frame with hinges.

Add a nice photo or painting, and wa-la! No longer an eye sore!

Unfortunately you can't do anything about placement, hello 1 inch from my countertop and cabinets (also preventing me from building more upper cabinets on that wall)

But, it's better than staring at that ugly gray box :)

2 comments: